6 December 2015

2015 in Review



I've read a lot of interesting books this year. I've also re-read a lot of books this year. Some in anticipation for film adaptions (Hunger Games series), some because I wanted to immerse myself in the universe (Shadowhunter books)
I enjoyed the Shadowhunter books so much, I cannot describe. And now that it is winter again, I want to re-read the Infernal Devices books! I miss the world! I miss the characters and the history. I cannot wait for the new book to come out next year, or for the TV series to start! I'm already in countdown mode.

I've finally watched the Mockingjay film (part two) this week! Did anyone not like the ending? I mean I didn't hate it - it was just so short - I wanted to see Haymitch's geese!

I've started a couple more series this year that I can't wait to continue! They all seem very interesting to me - I don't think there has been one book I've read this year that I hated... It took me a while to get into some, and of them there is only one that I won't be continuing on with (Rebel Belle - seems very much like I Am Number Four and I've never been properly motivated to continue on with those either)

Without further ado - here's what I've read this year.




Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3)
Cassandra Clare
Goodreads

Finished Reading: January 7



City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)
Cassandra Clare
Goodreads

Finished Reading: February 20



Day 21 (The Hundred #2)
Kass Morgan
Goodreads

Finished Reading: March 4



City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3)
Cassandra Clare
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 16 March



City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6)
Cassandra Clare
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 17 June



Ready Player One
Ernest Cline
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 29 June



Mind Games
Teri Terry
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 3 August



Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)
Suzanne Collins
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 17 August



Reboot (Reboot #1)
Amy Tintera
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 20 September



Delirium (Delirium #1)
Lauren Oliver
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 30 September



In Time (The Darkest Minds #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 7 November



The Walking Dead Book 2(The Walking Dead #13-24)
Robert Kirkman
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 14 November



The Walking Dead Book Four (The Walking Dead #37-48)
Robert Kirkman
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 23 November




City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)
Cassandra Clare
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 27 January



Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3)
Maggie Stiefvater
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 21 February



Homecoming (The Hundred #3)
Kass Morgan
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 8 March



City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)
Cassandra Clare
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 6 May



Rebel Belle (Rebel Belle #1)
Rachel Hawkins
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 17 June



End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days #3)
Susan Ee
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 19 July



The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)
Suzanne Collins
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 11 August



Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)
Suzanne Collins
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 29 August



The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1)
Alexandra Bracken
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 20 September



The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
Claire North
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 7 November



The Walking Dead Book One (The Walking Dead #1-12)
Robert Kirkman
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 10 November



The Walking Dead Book Three (The Walking Dead #25-36)
Robert Kirkman
Goodreads

Finished Reading: 14 November

My top three books of the year are...
  • Ready Player One
  • The Darkest Minds
  • The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
These are books that were just so mindblowingly different to a) what I anticipated and b) what I usually read.
The Darkest Minds I would have read much sooner if I knew that was going to be the plot. In all honesty I thought it was going to be similar to City of Ember though I have no idea why I ever thought that. 
I was hooked from the word go. It did take me a while to read it since I have like three hours a night to do anything that I want to do/that needs doing before I sleep, but I was so invested. And I even loved the novella. I've never read one before - usually I just move straight on to the next 'real' book but I'm going to have to read all the Lunar Chronicle novellas before I read Winter!

I loved Ready Player One - I received it in one of the Loot Crate boxes and was so grateful as I had wanted to read it a while before that. Again, another book that hooked me from the first paragraph. We were away on holiday at the time and I got told I was being "antisocial". Hey, it was my holiday too! 

The Harry August book was a massive surprise - I thought it was going to be more YA than it was. I'm glad it wasn't. It just had a perfect tone. A little slow in places, but I was always on the edge of my seat to find out what was going on - I couldn't read it fast enough.

I think the reason I have enjoyed all three of these books so much is that I didn't read online what was going to happen. I know in the past I will have said that before, but I can't help spoiling some books for myself. I am getting better at it though. I am so close to spoiling Illuminae though. I'm just not into it, and then I'll find myself at parts becoming really interested. I don't think it was the right time for me to start listening to it (I have the audiobook) so I'll give it another go in the future maybe. 

I also finished a couple of series this year.
Penryn, which was a little far fetched, started off as such a promising series. I wasn't disappointed with the ending but neither was I massively enthused while reading the last book. I liked it, I just didn't love it. 

The Hundred trilogy is now over which I am sad about. The story went in a really surprising direction and it made me so excited for the new episodes (but it doesn't start until next year so I am counting down). I think I would read the books again, but not for a while. Maybe when the TV series has finished. 

Now I'm just waiting (impatiently) for the new Raven Cycle book to be release. I just want to know what happens so badly.
I may re-read the Lunar Chronicles over Christmas before I read Winter so that I am up to date with all the going's on.

But before I even get that far, I gotta say I am reading like five books at the same time. This is why I am getting nowhere this month.


Books Left Until Target: 5
Books Behind Schedule: 2
Current Time Left: 25 Days







A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
George R.R. Martin
Goodreads

Started: September



The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave #2)
Rick Yancey
Goodreads

Started:
15 March



Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)
Alexandra Bracken
Goodreads

Started: 10 November



The Walking Dead Book Five (The Walking Dead #49 - 60)
Robert Kirkman
Goodreads

Started: 14 November



Carry On
Rainbow Rowell
Goodreads

Started: 16 November



Illuminae (Illuminae Files #1)
Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Goodreads

Started: 16 November

Thanks for reading -
If you have a similar post, please link me to it in the comments. I'd love to read about your year and get reacquainted again!

No comments:

Post a Comment