24 June 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #15

hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.

I missed an opportunity last time to explore covers that I really love, of books that I haven't read yet. And, lo, two days later I discovered several books that I had never heard of with the worlds most beautiful covers! Much better than the choices I'd made for TTT, and so although this weeks topic is Book Cover Trends I Like/Dislike, I'm going to show you some cover trends that I really like so much that I would have them displayed as art in my home.



As I said before, this is one of my favourite cover trends. I know the stories are going to be set way way in the past, and going to involve at least some degree of hunting. I've not read the Jean Auel books, but I have read a couple of the Michelle Paver books - they're really interesting!



The Plains of Passage | The Shelters of Stone 
Wolf Brother | Soul Eater


I couldn't really think of a better way to describe these covers. I really would like The Minnow on my wall.



I hope to see a bit more of this in 2014, covers which feature the TITLE of the book rather than a girls face.




I love any cover like this. One simple object which refers to the story on the cover.



People take a lot of time drawing the covers for these books, and I cannot help but love them. I love the really complex illustrations like what Chris Riddell draws, I can spend hours looking at them.
I love the cover for Lagoon, not sure of the artist but the colour is beautiful and I love anything that is water-related.


Freeglader | Lagoon
Fangirl | This One Summer



A couple of books that I've seen this year have been kind of silhouette with text on top. I love this style, and I think the Perks cover is really lovely. I also really would like to read Dear Killer, and I'm completely basing that on the cover. 


Dear Killer | The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Thank you very much to Stacked Books for helping me with some of the subtitles - I think it's a little naive of me that I didn't know there were cover TRENDS. I knew there were plot trends, but wow. Maybe that's why most of my favourite books look the same! 
What are your favourite cover trends? Or what do you not like about certain cover trends?

17 comments:

  1. Love your cover picks. After I've seen other lists and different trends chosen I am completely left thinking how did I not think of that? I mean symbolic covers is a good one, I also didn't think of having silhouette as a trend all of its own. Some stunning covers chosen anyway, I love the one for The Rabbit Back Literature Society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! The silhouette one was a late addition to the list, if I'm honest! Probably my favourite one at the minute as well.

      Delete
  2. Great list. Typography...yes! I think I could be a book cover illustrator. (Wouldn't that be a great job?)

    Here's my list of things I like about book covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the best job! I suck at drawing though haha just have to try to write one instead! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Thank cover of The Perks of Being a Wallflower is my absolute favorite. It also happens to be the only one of the Perks covers I don't own. I don't know how to explain that. Ha. It's just beautiful though.
    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it in Waterstones last month and I contemplated buying it for about 20 minutes, especially because it was in the 3 for 2 pile, but I decided not to get anything in the end. Wish I'd bought it now!
      Thanks Stefani x

      Delete
  4. The Rabbit Back Literature Society Cover is gorgeous and I love your point about how petroglyphs establish time period and setting. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like knowing what I'm going to get before even reading the blurb which is why I love petroglyphs so much, very indicative of content! That RBLS cover though, beautiful. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I much prefer books with interesting typography rather than just a girl's face... Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like more effort goes into it, rather than just selecting the photo! Thanks Chrissi x

      Delete
  6. Fantastic list :) Dear Killer is on my TBR now based on that stunning cover!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cora! Yes I did exactly the same thing, can't wait to read it - sounds really interesting :D

      Delete
  7. I've never even considered Petroglyphs before as a trend! Don't think I've read anything with that kind of cover either - it reminds me of the Simba that the monkey draws on the wall in The Lion King... am I the only one visualising that??? Lol

    Cover Trends I Love and Loathe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES OMG YES!!!
      That's probably why I like them so much! Haha, I'm such a Disney geek!
      Thanks Rach x

      Delete
  8. Great List! I also have that I like typography. I should have added silhouettes because there are some really beautiful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your "symbolic" category! I wish I had thought of that, it reminds me of the minimalist posters/covers you see on the internet that people make for book series (like having just a lightening bolt for the first harry potter book, or his glasses- just one image that sticks with you). I also really like this cover of Perks, I've never seen it before. Great list this week!

    ReplyDelete