10 June 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #13


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish, where we make lists of bookish topics that relate to ourselves and view others' lists. It's also my favourite day of the week!
This week our topic is Top Ten Books of 2014 (so far) and let me tell you now, I've had a good year for reading!
Unlike other weeks, I have made a ranked list. It wasn't easy. (Kidding, it was.) But I've split the list into two genre lists as I don't think I could measure Legend against TFiOS fairly.
Also, disregarded my previous rule to not use authors more than once.
Without further ado:



GR / Amazon
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Quite easily my number one contemporary book of the year. Powerfully moving, this book broke my heart so many times and left me in floods of tears. Cannot wait to see the film (isn't released until June 20 in my local!) but I bet I'll be crying more than I did today at the funeral!

GR / Amazon
Looking For Alaska - John Green
Fell in love with this book almost as deeply as I did with TFiOS and I think I connected with it on a much deeper level, but I just HAD to read TFiOS first... If I didn't, this would be my favorite John Green book of all time. End of.

GR / Amazon
Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell
I was much more emotionally invested in this book than I thought I was. Literally cried for three days after and couldn't bring myself to talk about it in any massive amount of detail. I think I would still struggle now. Brilliant book though.

GR / Amazon
Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
It sounds like a really weird thing to say but this book made me feel mentally unstable for a few days while I was reading it. One of those books that happened to really resonate emotionally within me. I really liked the book, and I think I regard the film as a subdued version of the book. Also loved the film, obviously. I was really glad to have finally read the novel though as it is a modern classic. I really hope that stupid "only books by British authors in the classroom" law doesn't come into action. Don't you agree that kids should get to read this in school?! I don't think it's anything they wouldn't know about already! I did at 15/16!

GR / Amazon
Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
I definitely got a warm glow from this book, but for a lot of it that was it. It made me feel good. The reason it made the Top Ten is that I really did miss Cather's world after I left it.



GR / Amazon
Cinder - Marissa Meyer
I HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED IT YET AND IT'S ALREADY AMAZING!!!
I screamed a prediction for the book at a seagull yesterday. I'm so excited, haven't gotten this invested in a book since Darren Shan's Saga. 

GR / Amazon
Angelfall - Susan Ee
I don't really know what to say for this book other than, "right book, right time".
I can remember liking it a lot.

GR / Amazon
Legend - Marie Lu
I didn't enjoy this book as much as it deserved. "Right book, wrong time".
I want to reread it to give it the love it deserves, because it has all the elements I love in a fantasy book, and especially dystopian!
GR / Amazon
5th Wave - Rick Yancey
Bring on book two!! I wasn't completely engrossed in this book but I still really need to know what happens! Such a unique story to have read.

GR / Amazon
The Spooks Apprentice - Joseph Delacey
I just wanted to add this in because it's one of the books I finished recently.
I wish I read it either when I first bought it or when I was a kid because it was awesome. But still quite young for me!




12 comments:

  1. Great picks Aimee! The only one I've read on your list is TFioS but most of the rest of them (all I think) are on my TBR pile if I ever get round to them!!

    My TTT: http://confessionsofabookgeek.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-in-2014/

    R x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read Looking For Alaska if you liked TFiOS because they were, in my mind, quite similar. Not as beautifully polished as TFiOS, he's had a couple of books practice on character development though!
      My reading list this year is basically all the really well received books over the last four years, and so far I'm loving it! Popping over to yours now! x

      Delete
  2. So many of these are on my TBR. Great list!
    http://wp.me/p3ftwe-sU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a look, your list was great! x

      Delete
  3. I just cried buckets when I read TFIOS, and I'm so excited to watch the movie! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks, btw! Although I only have lukewarm feelings for TFiOS and Eleanor and Park, these are still good books! So excited to read The Fifth Wave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooookay...so my first comment was no where to be found lmfao.
    OH MY GOSH. Yes yes Angelfall and Legend! Two of my faves of all time. Aww, I hope you get more into their sequels <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, love the enthusiasm :D Brilliant books, I know what you mean about TFiOS and Eleanor and Park though, I'm not really a massive contemporary fan but I gave them a chance and they both blew me away.
      I cannot wait to read the rest of the Marie Lu books, you should definitely read The Fifth Wave, I think they're making it into a film. It can be a bit predictable, but can't everything? Still recommend though!
      Thanks for commenting :D x

      Delete
  6. This is one amazing list. TFIOS is just the most powerfully emotional book ever, so beautiful and so sad. I can't wait to see the movie! I need to read Looking for Alaska asap! Eleanor and Park was a great book but I definitely enjoyed Fangirl and Attachments more. She's one of my new favourite authors right now <3 Perks is just beautiful, Angelfall amazing and Cinder was mind blowingly good when I read it two years ago. Amazing list so many great books on here :)

    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-this-year.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky this year because I am still catching up on books published years ago, so my reading list is full of gems :D I am really loving Cinder, I'm hoping that there will be a twist, but I know I'm going to end up having already guessing the ending. I live in hope though!
      I really need to read Attachments, Rainbow is a brilliant author!
      Thanks for commenting Becca! x

      Delete
  7. So I've read and loved most of these. I still need to read Looking for Alaska. I have no doubt I'll love it though. :) I LOVE Susan Ee's series. It was so flipping good.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! Fangirl was a lot of fun to read. Angelfall and The 5th Wave or an my TBR list.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete