13 June 2014

The Perks of Being A Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

Published 3 January, 2013 (first 1999)
Kindle Edition
Simon & Schuster (first MTV Books)
244 pages
ASIN B00ALYRPAS
YA, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Amazon UK
Goodreads

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Charlie is a freshman.
And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his year yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

TL;DR

YES

  • I liked that it brought an emotion from me that I try hard to repress daily.
  • It felt like a true representation of a person falling in with an older crowd.
  • My eyes just swept through the pages. Very fluid style and very engaging.
NO
  • I didn't like the particular emotion it dragged from me - see 'YES' section.
  • I don't like letter format because it's difficult to do/well. I liked the entries where Charlie paints a scene, but after he starts hanging out with Sam etc it seemed wrong. Especially the LSD chapter and one of the final chapters where he becomes comatose.
I didn't like that I didn't get to read this in school. Also that I waited so long to read it, when it is a 'modern classic'.
I felt so bad for Charlie all the way through the book. I loved the way he would write something and at the end of the chapter he would be like "oh yeah, this is the point of me telling you that" and most of the time it would be really unrelated, which is something I do very frequently.
His support system was good as well, but I didn't like how he would always say no one hugged him. I know it must have been foreshadowing but it was still really sad. Can you imagine no one hugging you? *cry*
That's why I liked his teacher so much, because he was kind and encouraging and treated him as a person.
I quite liked that the abuse wasn't really mentioned much. Like it wasn't a big deal. And Charlie even says that he doesn't want that to define him, that he just wants to move on with his life. I think it says something like "where can I go from here?".

I like to write little notes in my phone after I finish a book, just to get my final reaction. Most of the time I finish a book late at night so it's quite handy. Perks was no exception and I wrote the following:
I think he is either sending the letters to Michael, or sending them to someone famous. I hope Michael because that just brings things full circle.
I am a MESS right now. Emotionally and literally. I had to stay up just to stop feeling so wrong in my headspace.
I think it was about 4am or 5am, and I had been feeling so completely depressed whilst reading the book that I just had to push through and finish it ASAP.
I haven't cried that much at a book since.. Well, I don't think I cried that much with TFiOS and Eleanor & Park combined. And that is saying something. I was very dehydrated.

Anyway, staying up late was worth it because it was such a beautiful book with a fantastic, conclusive ending.
If I was to rate it, I would say five stars, for sure.
There's a reason it's called a modern classic.

What did you guys think?
Did it make you emotional wrecks as well, or just me? Haha, probably just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment