22 June 2014

The 100 - Kass Morgan


TL;DR

YES

  • Fantastic world.
  • Intriguing and mostly kept my attention.
  • Gritty.
  • Good writing style, can't wait to see how it develops.
NO
  • No description of characters - don't know if this was a stylistic choice but it was annoying to me.
  • Too many characters - I get it, but I felt like I didn't need it. Too much information coming from different directions.
  • Too many flashbacks. I've already got 20 narrators on Earth, I don't need them all having flashbacks to when they were in space. (Not really 20 narrators but there were quite a few)
I go into detail after the page break.
Did I like it? You can find out...


I'm just going to say it:
I liked the book, but I prefer the TV show.
The writing style was very good, but the content was just too much. It's like Kass Morgan thought this book would fail so she answered all the questions and then shoved on a cliffhanger.

It's all spoilers from here.

I like that in the show there are more gender stereotype challenging characters, like Raven and (former) Councillor Diana. 
My favourite POV character in the book was Glass, who is not even mentioned on the TV show because she stays on the Ark. She was a bit stupid, but I felt she grew the most as a person. I feel bad saying I struggled through just to see what would happen to her, though essentially that is what happened. 
Glass' character arc is central to the whole plot and premise.
It's gritty, and full of exactly the type of teen drama that the CW mass produces, so I don't understand why she doesn't exist! She's been amalgamated into Raven, Octavia and Clarke. Not only that, but there is a character who is basically Raven, that plays the antagonist part of Glass' story. Like, really. 

Anyway, Glass is from quite a rich(?) family. I feel like she's the girl in The Notebook and it's the only way I can describe it. She falls in love with a really poor guy called Luke and they want to be together, but her mum lays it out. She can't be with him. There is a class system for a reason. 
I think it's quite important to note here that life on the Ark (I don't even think there is a collective name for it in the book) is hierarchy based, and though the well-situated have unlimited opportunities for career, status and general oxygen need, the outer districts are limited in what they can do for themselves.
But she is pregnant and it is really sad because she suffers a miscarriage, and when she escapes prison slash the drop ship and receives a pardon in return for a blowy from her mommy, she realises that her life was so hollow. And then she becomes a better person, and Luke breaks up with Camille to be with her again and then they are dating in secret and it is all SO CW. 

I recommended the TV show to my friend after just the pilot, and he said it was like Battlestar Galactica for teenage girls. Which makes me want to watch BSG.. 
I like that in the TV show Wells dies almost immediately, because he is a MASSIVE DOUCHE in the book. He's a massive part of why they have to come back down to Earth though, rather than oxygen stores being depleted. And yes, in the book he was the one who got BOTH OF CLARKE'S PARENTS KILLED.

I finished the book because I wanted to know what happened with Glass, and why Wells was still alive and narrating. Turns out, he's the idiot that made the landing mission neccessary - he tampered with the seals and oxygen is leaking out into space. Which is why they have to cut off the outer districts by closing the skybridge. Which is why there is a massive cliffhanger ending where you aren't sure if Glass dies with Luke or if they will escape... 

So there you go, you don't really need to read the book unless you want to find out what happens after they get to Earth, which ironically is not the main focus of the book. Well, I guess it is, but it's definitely not the most interesting bit.
Octavia is a drug addict. Clarke's parents were radiation poisoning children and Clarke was assisting in a way because she was being a nurse to them. Clarke falls in love with Bellamy. Wells gets really mad about it.

It was a bit something and nothing really. Just lots of information given freely. You don't have to work for any of it. It was just a lot of waiting for the right POV chapter to come around and flashbacks. 
Brilliant premise, and I'm glad it's part of a series but I wish I'd waited until the second book was released.
I gave it three stars on Goodreads, but a lot of people didn't even finish the book.
As with every book, I think you need to read it for yourself to know if you like it though.

Please let me know if you've read this book because I don't know anyone that has!
Would be lovely to hear your point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment