19 April 2014

World After Booktalk


World After - Susan Ee

In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.
When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.
Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.
Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?

Synopsis from Goodreads

Published November 19, 2013.
Kindle Edition
438 pages
ASIN B00DBE1P2Y
Book 2
Dystopian YA Fiction
Amazon
Goodreads


So, this book was quite different from Angelfall in a couple of ways.
One: Penryn and Raffe don't see each other for the first half of the book. Not face to face, anyway.
Two: Raffe's sword, having rejected him, becomes Penryn's. It teaches her how to fight and gives insight into Raffe's previous jobs and why he was separated from the other Angels.
Three: We get to see how Pen interacts with her family, and especially how her feelings towards Paige have changed since she became hellspawn.

I didn't find this book as engaging as the first.
Penryn still proved to be a great main character, but I just don't trust her!
It took me until I was halfway through to be as excited as I was with Angelfall. I'm really not saying this was a bad book, I just really have been reading too many post-apocalyptic adventure stories recently.

I didn't like that Penryn was running around with the Resistance, but I did like what came about from that. I liked that she was able to save that lady and eventually reunite her with her family. I liked that we got to learn more about Penryn's relationship with her mother. I liked Penryn's conflict about Paige. I felt sad when Paige ran away.
Am I a bad person for thinking that, yes, Pen should have killed Paige? I mean, she has Raffe's sword..
I felt a little different after Pen finds out what happened to Paige while she was with the Angels. Especially that she has developed Stockholm syndrome. And I loved that Pen would still risk her life to save Paige even though she is a risk to others.
That just shows her strength of character.

This is the book that made me doubt Penryn's candor. However, I was reading the series as if she was fifteen, not seventeen. So yeah, she probably would have some friends that party.
I still think that from previous evidence about her Pen would have been unpopular, though. Her mum is crazy, which will affect her relationships; her mum sews yellow star bursts on her clothes; she probably smells like rotten eggs; she does survival training and martial arts. She's more likely to be friends with guys, not girls.
That seems a bit judgmental, but it disengaged me.

The book ends on another cliffhanger. I liked that it wasn't an urgent one, more like saying 'there will be a sequel, don't worry!'.
At the minute, I think that Penryn is really close to tempting Raffe into falling, and wouldn't be surprised if she did. I think his humanity is a problem for him, in terms of him not actually being human. He wants to save the world, but also save the angels from themselves. If he doesn't become the general in the next book, or get his wings back, I will be moved to tears. He deserves both of these things. Maybe book four though, because they have to kill all the scorpion things.

Hey, I just remembered how cool the cliffhanger was. They're flying off in a massive group of scorpion angels that aren't interested in attacking them because of Raffe's wings. That's cool, right? He can pretty much control them and use them against Uriel. Although also bad as that can be used against him. And Uriel is slimy politician extraordinaire.

I think the long and short of it is, I want to reread World After so that I can appreciate it more. I've had a bit of a contemporary binge and maybe I'm ready for an adventure again. I do dream about this series a lot though. It's an exciting world to explore, what can I say?


I hope this doesn't read as badly as it does in my head. I need a week off!
At least then I could get some reading done and bang out a couple of posts!




No comments:

Post a Comment