1 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #4

Every week, the Broke and the Bookish host Top Ten Tuesday. It's a day where we make our bookish lists and read others'. This week it's our top ten "gateway" books/authors in our reading journey.

I really had to trawl through my bookshelf memories for this one. And to be honest, I gave up at the end because I just could not think of what series of books got me into vampires. But it was probably LJ.
This list was difficult as hell, but I really enjoyed thinking about those gateway books.
I have cheated a little and done my reading and blogging journey, if you don't mind.














The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
This is the first series of books that really got me into reading. I can remember my dad reading them to me over and over and over as some of my very first memories. Best bed time stories ever.
I never had a favourite, I just enjoyed listening to all of them. But this is my ultimate "gateway" book, because I don't think I'd enjoy reading as much if I hadn't read this as a child.
The picture is the edition that I had, and still have, even if they are yellowed and dog-eared to hell.

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾ - Sue Townsend
I read this book when I was in my mid-teens after clearing out the attic and finding some of my dads old books. I really enjoyed it, and he had quite a few of the sequels so I read them too. This made me trust his opinion of books, so I tried some of his others. I read this one first, then I moved on to Maggie Prince's Memoirs of a Dangerous Alien. I think this led me onto reading a lot of science fiction books, so I'm really glad I found these books.

The Babysitter - RL Stein
I cannot remember why, but my cousins gave me a box full of Point Horror books. This was the first one I read, and it was really scary. I read all the Point Horror books I could get my hands on and multiple times. I noticed in my local library that they had a couple of them on audio book, which were tapes at the time, that's how long ago we're talking. So this series not only got me into YA horror but also audio books which I love so, so much.

Cirque du Freak - Darren Shan
First book I read by the Irish author, fell in love with his writing style immediately. By the time I'd gotten to book five, I'd started to notice the message board adverts and I joined. They were some of the best years of my life. That was my first peek at discussing books online with other people passionate about them. Definitely my gateway book to blogging!
Darren Shan also influenced my degree choice. I was really struggling with course choice and then I saw that he had done Creative Writing as a degree and I totally ran with it.

Diary of a Crush - Sarra Manning
I started reading this when it was still being published in Seventeen magazine. I adored Sarra's writing style, and the contemporary portrayal of a young girl in college. I bought every single one of her new releases until the Fashionistas series, not for any reason other that I'd stopped reading for a while. So yeah, gateway to contemporary.

Glass Houses - Rachel Caine
This is the series. This is the series that got me back into reading after my little hiatus. I am really grateful to my friend Leane who introduced me to the books as without her I wouldn't even be blogging.

Essential X-Men
I got a whole bunch of comics at a car boot sale for £2 (and I mean a whole bunch). It was mainly Essential X-Men but there were a few others. Anyway, they really got me into comics, which got me into graphic novels.

Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn
I've mentioned these books before as being amazing and blah blah blah, but they were the books that really pushed me over the edge with the whole Japan thing. Now I'm crazy about Japan and I still read these books every year.

Exodus - Julie Bertagna
I have been racking my brain to remember what the very first dystopian book I read was. I cannot for the life of me remember, this is just the most memorable one, if not the first. Again, I keep banging on about it so. Dystopia gateway covered.

LJ Smith
This lady got me into vampires. I think. Vampire Diaries was the first vampire book I can remember reading, anyway. She introduced me to the supernatural and I couldn't get enough. I think someone at school actually lent me the book, you know, so I have her to thank.
Recently enough read the Nightworld series and I am coveting that final book. I have The Secret Circle waiting to be read as well. I loved the TV series and want to get to the bottom of what's going on!

Here are my covers:



I really can't wait to read everyone else's lists!
Feel free to link me to your list - I wanna read it!

Happy April Fools day as well!


7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, how could I forget Sarra Manning! You should give the Fashionista series a go, the four books are quite different and I really enjoyed them.
    Great list!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read any of these but thanks for sharing your journey!

    Check out my TTT.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an R.L. Stein book on my list too. Great list.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list! The Chronicles of Narnia was such a good series. Now I want to reread it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge fan of Lian Hearn's Otori books too and am always talking about them but it's fantastic to hear that there is someone else out there as nuts about them as I am!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was never into The Chronicles of Narnia, though I wish I'd been. I remember watching The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and my friends would read the books, but for some reason, I never did.

    I've never read Point Horror, though I was a big Goosebumps fan as a child.

    I remember trying to read Darren Shan's The Demonata series. I read the first book a long time ago, and it was great, from what I remember, but it scared me, haha! I think it's because I was young when I read it.

    I was super surprised to see Julie Bertagna on your list! I never hear anyone talking about her books. They definitely deserve a bigger following. I loved Exodus and Zenith but was really disappointed that my library didn't carry Aurora. Hopefully I can get my hands on a copy of Aurora soon :D

    ReplyDelete