20 February 2014

TV Pilot

Star Crossed
CW on Mondays


Now, I've been tracking this show on my Sidereel for months. I wanted to give it a chance as I'd read the premise but knew nothing other than that. Also, I thought it was based on a book (as everything else at the CW is).

So, I was having a quick flick through my Bloglovin' feed and Forever Young Adult bloggers Emily and Mandy had written a review on Starcrossed, and whether it's worth watching or marathoning.
They came to the conclusion that it was a bit here and there, but they had a cast list in their post which I read and rolled my eyes at.
What the Atrian tattoos look like (src)

Where I Rant About 90210
I really grew to hate Matt Lanter in 90210. I thought Liam was a bad character, as badly acted as his on-screen career portrays him to be. It was like bad acting Inception.
His storylines were weak, his character was annoying and dumb. He said and did all these stupid things and Annie just lapped it up like the idiot prostitute that she was. Also, he completely didn't deserve to be rich.

Anyway, Lanter rose to the top of my televisual hitlist until last year when 90210 finished and I thought the 30 year old would move on to different projects. Did he fuck.


Where the CW Rehire Actors For Different Projects
Waste not, want not, eh?

  • Phoebe Tonkin who was in the Secret Circle (which I will come back to later) and then cast in Vampire Diaries and its spin-off, the Originals.
  • Jessica Parker Kennedy, also Secret Circle, cast again in 90210.
  • Chris Zylka (they fucking love this guy) 90210, 10 Things I Hate About You, Secret Circle and now Twisted.
  • Britt Robertson in Life Unexpected, Secret Circle.
There are so many more, but I don't think anyone really cares that much except from me.

Where I Get Back to the Point

(src)
So, Matt Lanter is one of the main characters in this show. I wasn't very appreciative of this fact, until I watched the episode. He seems to be acting a bit better now.
Another face that I recognised was the weird guy Jack (Greg Finley) from Secret Life of the American Teenager (yes, I do watch some awful television). He's come a long way since his really bad hair and agonizingly long and detailed talks about how he had oral sex with Adrian and he's going to Hell.
I blame the writers, mostly, for that one. He never had a chance. Hopefully Star Crossed can give him a bit of a leg up with the use of subtlety and inference. Also, maybe some words that real people use like 'blowjob' or 'head'.

I liked the show, though. I really think it has promise.
It's Romeo and Juliet, so pretty predictable, just with a twist of sci-fi.

The Aliens are distinguishable only by their tattoos, leading to them being derogatorily known as 'Tatties'. They live in a District 9 style compound, have an imposed curfew and are basically under human containment. Some are happy living like this, but others feel they need to shake off the shackles soon.
Roman is the son of the leader/ambassador? He and six others start at human school where they are not so welcome, and Oral Sex Jack is constantly trying to start a fight due to the bullying of the humans.
Roman has a really bad hairstyle and a tendency to stare at girls and get himself into trouble.

On the Juliet side is Aimee Teegarden as Emery. She originally hides Roman on 'Arrival Day', as he calls it, but believes him to be dead. She has suffered from and survived some sort of immune system problem that kept her off school for 4 years. Her friend in the hospital has cancer and, thinking there is an alleged cure-all called Cypher in the alien compound, the two skip off to find it. When they get there, Roman reveals it is just Saffron and the girls slink off in disappointment.

More happens in the episode, but you should totally watch it.

The only thing I worry about now is, will the special effects used in the pilot mean that there is another Secret Circle moment and the whole series gets cancelled?
I really hope not, but I have a feeling that this is a one series kinda deal.

Anyone else seen it yet?
Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment