13 February 2014

Book Overview

[src]



City of Bones - Cassandra Clare




Goodreads synopsis: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died.
Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...


Well, I was right about enjoying the book more than the film. For the most part, it followed the same plot so I knew what to expect, but it was so different!
I think the film set me up for a quicker exposition of Clary's "talents", but I can see (now that I'm halfway through City of Ashes) that it is a very slow development for her.
I'm happy to wait though.

I really enjoyed reading City of Bones. I loved the pace and the characters were interesting. I knew most of the plot, but it was still engaging and I loved learning the 'true' story. I'm currently watching the film as I write this, and getting quite angry at the amount of changes!

The only chapter I found a little off was Luke's back-story / coming-out chapter. I got kinda confused halfway through and forgot he was telling it. Don't get me wrong, it was much needed and I love in-story history, but I did forget where I was.
And if that's the only complaint I have, then I must have loved it, right?

Simon is a much less pathetic person in the book. He has his weak moments and then steps up when it comes to dealing with Dorothea. He isn't really as scared as I think Clary paints him, but you can tell this is a major shock to him.
Also in the book, you understand Jace and Alec's relationship better. I could see why Alec had fallen in love with him, and I felt bad that he was being led on a little. I'm glad he's got Bane in his corner though. I really want that to happen. Also Simon/Izzy? Clary and Simon is such an obvious bluff, since the film ruined that they are not really related (Jace and Clary, I mean). I wonder if she'll meet her real brother and whether they will get on.

Like I said, I'm already halfway through City of Ashes and I can't wait to finish it. Very good story so far, and I like that fairies are portrayed in the proper way, not Disney-esque.



No comments:

Post a Comment