6 May 2013

May Bank Holiday

Today it is Bank Holiday Monday! 
As I have the day off, I decided to go to the Carboot Sale just down the road from my house. 

I spent £10 and I have come home with four books, a Pyrex dish and a Star Wars edition of Monopoly.



Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings



This is the first in The Belgariad series. I have never heard of this series or author before, but I saw it as I was digging through a box of books and thought it might be a good, quick read on my week off. It's 346 pages so it should take a day or two. The blurb reads:
Long ago, the evil God Torak fought a war to obtain an object of immense power - the Orb of Aldur. But Torak was defeated and the Orb relaimed by Belgarath the sorcerer.
Garion, a young farm lad, loves the story when he first hears it from the old storyteller. But it has nothing to do with him. Or does it? For the stories also tell of a prophexy that must be fulfilled - a destiny handed down through the generations. 
And Torak is stirring again.
I thought it sounded quite a lot like Eragon minus Dragons, so I'm going to give it a go.
*I have just noticed a quote from Paolini on the cover, so it must be pretty similar. 


Trials of Death - Darren Shan



The other day I mentioned that someone stole my copy of Trials of Death, so when I saw the same copy just sat on a table for £1, I snapped it up. I'm going to read it soon as well, because I've read all of the other books 20 times, but this one only five or six! And it is my favourite! I love the trials!

Garfield Minus Garfield - Jim Davis



I bought this for my boyfriend because it was his birthday yesterday. Just one of those things you can look at every now and then and laugh at. I've seen him looking at it online, I didn't know there was a printed version so that might be a novelty for him. Hopefully. If not, it doesn't matter, I got the other three books for £1 altogether! Bargain!
The good thing about this book is that it shows the original strips underneath so you can see what Garfield was thinking.



Geisha - Liza Dalby



Liza Dalby is the only non-Japanese woman ever to become a Geisha. I've seen this book before in shops, and I really enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha so I thought I'd get it - I want to know what Geisha's really get up to!
I really love Japanese culture, to me it seems really exciting. I would love to go there one day, to the countryside to see all the historical sites and stuff. Anyway, let's hope this is an interesting read. There are some pictures so that looks exciting!

The weather is so amazing today! I might pop to the beach with a book for a little bit.
Hope everyone's having a great Bank Holiday Weekend!

aimes.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, lots of awesome :D And omg. Those Darren Shan books are AMAZING! Been a few years since I read them, but I read them four times back then. <3 Will need to re-read them soon :) Enjoy it all ;)
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete