23 April 2013

Re-Reading

Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin


The first time I read this book was about two years ago, just after I'd watched a bit of the TV series. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a good place in my life and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I should have. I can't even remember reading most of it, though some parts of the book come back frequently to haunt me.

The thing that struck me was how similar the series was to the first book. That rarely happens with adaptions and it is so well done.

When I was reading this on my break in work yesterday, I was really analyzing the text, trying to force every name into memory so I could place them at a minutes notice. There is one man that I really couldn't place and that was Weymar Royce, but then he died like three pages later. But he seems important to me somehow! I really took in the foreshadowing of the Direwolf in the first chapter as well, something which I had forgotten. 

I don't like the descriptive term 'fair', which is used here to describe Jon Snow. I think it means blond, but I know it can also mean good looking as well. I asked a couple of people in work and they agreed with blond, but it could just be a British thing!

The only thing I'm not looking forward to reading again is Catelyn's journey up to the Eyrie. That haunts my nightmares to this day. I kept dreaming of falling off an icy cliff for weeks after I read it!

For now, though, I have only gotten as far as the arrival of the King in Winterfell. He's not even gotten down into the Crypt to see Lyanna. Just writing this entry has made me stick the first episode on though, so I'm going to enjoy that with my very first Oreo :)

Anyone else read A Game of Thrones? Did you enjoy it? Let me know!

aimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment